Monday 9 January 2012

Love And Respect...


Yesterday something amazing happened. Yesterday I went through my entire arsenal of emotions. I was shocked, I was furious, I was sad, I was hopeful, I was happy, I was ecstatic, and finally, I was astonished. I was respectful. I was proud. In that very same order. Why?

First, to all the people that read this but are not football fans - beware! This post is entirely dedicated to the amazing squad of Manchester City, whom I now respect not only as players but as people also. People, who inspire me with their spirit of teamwork and desire for success.

Manchester City lost to Manchester United. I should tell you now that I respect both teams. But while City are dubbed as the "rich, spoiled brats" and United are known as the "world-famous legends", I have to say that yesterday these two nicknames switched their places.

After an atrocious first half, United were leading with 3 goals, while City didn't score any. Not only that, but after a ridiculous decision by the referee, Vincent Company, the capitan and the backbone of City, was shown a red card for a faul he did not commit.

First of all, I need to give credit where it's due. United were truly playing very well. Two of the goals they scored were very beautiful indeed, and their penalty was deserved. Rooney once again impressed both in the midfield and in attack. They were organized and worked as a team, something that was lacking in their last few games. It was one of the few times when they actually looked like United. And I should know, I have been a fan of this team since I was third grade. Of course, I was completely against the return of Paul Scholes. They have too many "old" players already, Fergie should really start buying players. Young, talented players that deserve a chance in a team such as the Devils. Ok, enough about United. Back to my main point.

I have never been a fan that hates on other rival teams. I even have to say that I have supported City a lot during the last few years, mainly because I really admire the players and their talent. Some of them include Joe Hart, who is my all time favorite goalkeeper because of England (some of you might know that), Micah Richards, Vincent Company, Alexander Kolarov, Yaya Toure, James Milner, Edin Dzeko, Sergio Aguero, David Silva, and others. Anyway. Back to the game. The team was forced to play without their main playmaker, against United's 12-man squad (yes, I do believe the referee was helping United), and this loss of concentration resulted in three goals against them. BUT!!! In the second half, Mancini switched his attacking players with defenders, most of them from the reserve team. And they still managed to score two goals back, and were a few seconds away from actually equalizing the result. Fate was against them, however, but the achievement stands. They threw everything on that field. Everything! They fought until the end, and I can only respect and admire that.

And, finally, I'm coming to the main point of this post: United's arrogance.

I never expected that from them. They started bitching around, boasting about the win, bragging about the first half... Unbelievable. The team that is supposed to be an example to all others to behave like a child who just won a game of hide-and-seek... It's arrogant, disrespectful, and overall... pathetic... I was completely dissapointed, and disgusted, to be honest.

Yet, City, a.k.a. the "billionaire brats" reacted in a different way, which gained my respect for years to come:

Adam Johnson: "Great effort today! So unlucky... Fans and everyone involved were excellent."

Vincent Company: "The fans, the players, and every single person invloved with Man City FC were incredible today. Definitely the moral winners of this game."

Micah Richards: "We lost today, but in our heads we won. Our team spirit is inspirational! The fans kept us going for 90 minutes. Thank you. CTID!"

Yes, they are the moral winners. Yes, they gave their best for the fans. Yes, they are inspirational! This is a real team. They don't start dissing the other team. No insults, no boasting. Just optimism and hope. I hope they win the Premier League. They are the only ones that deserve it, all the hard work they put in every single move and tactic. You are amazing!

And, yes, Mancini, you MUST be proud of your team!!! Because they are the pure definition of what a team should be, and I don't care how much money you club has, these players are worth much, much more than that. Don't let them get lost in the thought of money and fame...


2 comments:

  1. Well, I'm a United all the way, but I have to agree with you. Which is weird, because you're... a girl. City is lucky to have a supporter like you! :-)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi City supporter? Visit my blog http://city1894.blogspot.com Cheers Gary

    ReplyDelete