Friday 25 November 2011

The Broken Compass...


An excerpt from my short story, "The Broken Compass":

"You're just like them. All of them. The only thing you want from me is money." He was raising his voice higher and higher. "In fact, why don't you marry my credit card? Please, save your excuses, I've heard them all." He turned around, clutching his fists in anger. In a few steps he reached the front door, but just as his hand touched the handle, her voice made him freeze in midair.

"You don't get it, do you? All you see is a girl that's in a relationship with you just for your platinum. You don't even see the real deal." The coldness in her tone made him shiver. "I don't give a fuck about your money. Actually, I hate the fact that you even have them. All I want is one thing. All I need is one thing." He turned around impatiently. Was this a confession of love? The mechanic shimmer in her eyes surprised and scared him even more than her words.

"All I want from you is one thing." She repeated slowly. "All I need from you is to be there when I call, come to my apartment, ring my doorbell, tear my clothes off when I open the door, throw me on the bed, have your way with me, kiss me goodnight, and leave before I can say anything. How can I put it more simple?" She slowly walked to the counter and lifted the glass of whiskey to her lips. Her blank gaze lingered for a second on the ticking clock. His hand was frozen on the door handle, his words were drowned in his throat.

"What? Cat got your tongue?" She chuckled. "You men are pathetic. Nothing satisfies you. You're not happy when a woman loves you and just wants to be with you. You think she is being clingy and annoying. You're not happy when a woman wants to see you only from time to time. You think she doesn't care about you enough. You're not happy when a woman only wants your money and fame. You think she is a golddigger who will leave you for the next richer guy than you. You're not happy when a woman uses you just for sex. You think she is a whore, a slut, and not good enough for you, you feel unmanned. Then, tell me, what the fuck do you want from us?"

Screaming the last few words, she couldn't contain her anger. The empty glass flew across the room. The crash was deafening, the red carpet was now covered with small glass pieces and melting ice. "Get out!" Her tone was once again flat but still trembling from the anger. He couldn't make his hand move. How did she do that? How did she shift from one extreme to the other and back in just a matter of seconds?

Suddenly, she started walking toward him. She stopped just a few centimeters away from him, her body almost pressed against his, then slowly placed her hand on his. He knew it! She couldn't let him go. Just as he was leaning towards her for a kiss, she pushed his hand down and quickly pulled away from him. The door flung open. "In case you forgot how doors function. Now move." She pressed her back against the opposite wall, crossed her hands in front of her chest, and looked at him expectantly. He knew that it was time for him to leave.

P.S. This story is still in the works. However, I decided to post this passage, since some recent events reminded me how weird human beings can be. I hope you enjoy it. :)


4 comments:

  1. Are you going to post the whole story? I want to read it. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I decided not to finish it, but if you want to see the rough draft, I'd be happy to send it to you. Just send me an e-mail. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, blog, interesting story! Why you decided not to finish it? I bet you could find some good reasons to even publish it?
    I hope a suggestion of mine will ne welcome? I usually post it at every site/blog i like: Do you use sites like zazzle.com, cafepress. com, fiverr? They could be a good way to promote your works and to help "remove" stupidity in the streets like headlines on t-shirts, fridge-magnets, cups, etc: My Boyfriend kisses Better Than Yours, FBI - female body inspector, etc. Not everything we see and think of should be about sex, right? It would be much better if there were more nice pictures of mythical creatures, good thoughts, poems from fantasy genre, etc? I'm allanbard there, I use some of my illustrations, thoughts, poems from my books (like: One can fight money only with money, Even in the hottest fire there's a bit of water, All the problems in the world lead to one - narrow-minded people, or
    Love and happiness will be around,
    as all the chains will disappear,
    and Mountaineers will climb their mount
    and there won't be any tear!
    etc). I bet such lines sound and look much better than the usual we see every day? Best wishes! Keep the good work going! Let the wonderful noise of the sea always sounds in your ears! (a greeting of the water dragons' hunters - my Tale Of The Rock Pieces).

    ReplyDelete
  4. АААА, Пилчоо, много е доброоо !!! И е пълно с истини :D:D:D Наистина - харесва ми! И аз искам да прочета цялата история!

    ReplyDelete