Saturday 12 November 2011

Moment Of Hope...


Today was one of the most nerve-wrecking days of my life. As you all know, I'm a die-hard England National Football Team fan. And, as such, I was in shock when I heard they were playing the World and European Champions, Spain. Well, before I start talking about the game, I have some facts to say first.

All in all, Spain has no place in my heart, despite being a football "miracle". First, I do not believe that they were better than Germany in the final of Euro 2008. Second, their attitude after the game was disgusting. They were mocking the German players, who we all know are the better side by far (Unfortunately!), they were making fun of the German jerseys, and overall their behavior, considering their extremely lucky win, was completely unprofessional.

I'm not even going to comment extensively on World Cup 2010, where Spain couldn't score more than ONE goal per game, and most of them were lucky shots, or a bad desicion by the referee. I don't know if the games were rigged or not but Spain was definitely not the best team in South Africa. If I have to be honest, Germany, Uruguay, Holland... All of these teams proved to be far better than Spain. For me, the Spanish win was either an accident, or a well-thought set up.

Anyway, back to today's game. I am speechless. I have never seen England so organized, so passionate, so determined, and full of spirit. Capello definitely deserves his congratulations, because England had one of the most brilliant defences I have ever seen in football. It was just unbelievable to see how the entire game was played just a couple of meters away from their goal, yet only three shots from Spain managed to actually go near it, and none at all scored.

It is true, however, that England was very poor in the forward action and in the possession of the ball, but I can see why was that so. They knew very well that Spain will use every single chance to blast the net. They knew that every failed try for an attack could lead to potential counter. Yet, they did it. By creating one single situation, the England captain, Frank Lampard managed to create what was to become the winning score of 1-0. Some might say that this is too close a score to mean something more than pure luck, but I don't think so.

Let's think about a few things. First, Spain threw every possible high-profile player on the pitch. Every single asset that Spain posseses had a chance in that game. Yet, none of them managed to pass through the English penalty zone. On the other hand, England played without some very important players like Steven Gerrard, John Terry, and Wayne Rooney. However, the young, inexperienced players managed to keep it together, with the help of only a couple of senior players, mainly Lampard, Ashley Cole, and Glen Johnson. Standing ovations, please.

Overall, amazng game. Of course, now, I have to consider professional treatment for my wrecked nerves, but I have to say - England, you outdid yourself. Bravo! Never have I contemplated the chance of a win tonight. I thought that a draw could be the best result. Yet, they proved me wrong. Now, we have hope. And hope can always give strength and confidence - something that England desperately needs after the fiasco in the World Cup. I know it's just a friendly game, but the passion they showed in a match that didn't matter can only be a symbol of what force they can be when the win can be crucial.

I have to admit, my hands were shaking after the game. I adore this team, and to see it achieve a victory over what is considered the best team in the world is a happiness that cannot be compared. I know that it's just a friendly match, but still... England, you were brilliant! Keep working and I truly believe we have the chance in next year's Euro 2012. I know you can win it.


3 comments: